Located directly east of Pearson Hall, Reid Hall was occupied and dedicated in 1948 as a men's residence, but not completed until the following year. It was named after the journalist and politician Whitelaw Reid, a member of the Class of 1856.

Sources:
Flinterman, Miami Buildings, Past and Present , 1966, LD3241.M534 F54x

Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x

Irwin, "Miami University Facilities"





Whitelaw Reid was born in Xenia, Ohio. on October 27, 1837. After graduating from Miami in 1856, he edited the Xenia News and subsequently served as a war correspondent, writing celebrated descriptions of the battles of Shiloh and Gettysburg. In 1868 he joined the staff of the powerful and influential New York Tribune, became its editor in 1872 and its owner a few months later. From 1889 to 1892, Reid served as U.S. Minister to France. He was Republican President Benjamin Harrison's running mate during Harrison's unsuccessful reelection bid in 1892. Both Harrison and Reid were Miami graduates, marking the only time that major-party Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates were alumni of the same institution. Reid later served as U.S. Ambassador to Great Britain from 1905 until his death in London on December 15, 1912. He remained a loyal Miami alumnus throughout his life, and he was instrumental in obtaining a $40,000 gift from Andrew Carnegie when funds were being solicited for construction of the Alumni Library.

Source:
Flinterman, Miami Buildings, Past and Present , 1966, LD3241.M534 F54x

Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x

Irwin, "Miami University Facilities"


April 1998