In 1941 the north half of a women's residence hall was completed and became known as South Hall. In 1952 the South wing was finished and, at a meeting of the Board of Trustees in June, the completed building was named Richard Hall honoring a former faculty member of the School of Education who had died the previous April.

Sources:
Flinterman, Miami Buildings, Past and Present , 1966, LD3241.M534 F54x

Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x

Irwin, "Miami University Facilities"





Frances Gibson Richard was born in Falling Springs, Pennsylvania on March 29, 1866. She attended the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in 1889 and a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1891. In 1893 she received a Master of Arts degree from the Bloomfield Academy Franklin College and, from 1892 to 1902, served on the National Normal University faculty. In 1902 Richard accepted a position as English Instructor in Miami's new Normal School, and she retired in 1936 with the title of Associate Professor. Much in demand as a public speaker during her career, Richard also wrote the libretto for a three act operetta titled The Emperor's Clothes. The music for this operetta was composed by Joseph Clokey '12 who later became Dean of the School of Fine Arts. She died in Erie, Pennsylvania on April 1, 1952.

Source:
Ashbaugh, E. J., J. W. Heckert, and J. Helen Campbell, Memorial for Frances Gibson Richard

Glos, Biographies of the Men and Women For Whom Miami Buildings are Named, 1983, LD3241.M534 G56 1983x


April 1998