BIBLIOGRAPHICAL NOTES for Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI. DEATH OF THE ELMS

   Alfred H. Upham's inaugural address, "The Art of Teaching," is included in Inaugural Addresses 1835-1928. The Upham inauguration on Homecoming Weekend, 1928, was featured in the Miami Student, October 23, 1928. The merger of Oxford College with Miami University was reported in the Miami Student, October 9, 1928. Dedication of the Caroline Scott Harrison Memorial was described in the Miami University Bulletin, May 1930. Dedication of Withrow Court was reported in the Miami University Bulletin, January 1932. An account of the Freshman Adviser System in its first year appears in the Miami University Bulletin, November 1929. Sketches of H. S. Thobe appeared in the Miami University Bulletin, March 1931 and January 1939. Early development of the formal gardens near Fisher Hall is described in the Miami University Bulletin, October 1934. Reconstruction of Elliott and Stoddard halls is reported in the Miami University Bulletin, January 1936, January 1937 and October 1937. President Upham's around-the-world tour is engagingly recorded in his Rhyming Round the World (Boston, 1939); the reception for the Uphams on their return was described in the Miami University Bulletin, May 1938. Arthur F. Conrad's "Miami Magnificent Trees," in the Miami Alumnus, October 1962, tells of great old trees on the campus and of new plantings that have helped to replace the vanished elms. The Beta Theta Pi centennial celebration and dedication of the Beta Bell Tower are reported in the Miami University Bulletin, May 1939 and October 1940.