Old Miami was a college of three buildings, which in the twentieth
century were named Harrison, Elliott, and Stoddard halls. On the open
field beyond Main Building snowballs were rolled in the Snow Rebellion,
companies of northern and southern students marched to cadence in 1861,
and the first football matches were played in 1888. The first president's
house, inside the fence, was enlarged from a one-room schoolhouse built
Havighurst, Walter. The Miami Years. New York: G.P. Putnam and Sons, 1984.