King Library to undergo two-week closure in July-August
By Vince Frieden, strategic communications coordinator, University Libraries
As part of a major campus electrical upgrade project, Miami University’s King Library will be closed for two weeks this summer, Saturday, July 22 – Sunday, Aug. 6.
During the closure, Miami’s other three campus library locations—B.E.S.T. Library (Laws Hall), Amos Music Library (Center for Performing Arts) and Wertz Art & Architecture Library (Alumni Hall) will remain open. B.E.S.T. Library will offer expanded Monday-Thursday hours, 7:15 a.m. – 9 p.m, during this period. The full listing of University Libraries’ facility hours are available online.
The project includes replacing an outdated electrical substation near King Library and upgrading infrastructure within the facility, which requires a total electrical shutdown.
“As an institution that prides itself on offering the resources our patrons need, when they need them, the University Libraries regret any inconvenience this brief closure may cause,” Dean and University Librarian Jerome Conley said. “Our leadership and staff have worked collaboratively with our campus partners to minimize the impact and ensure we are able to continue meeting the needs of our students, faculty and staff at as high a level as possible.”
Students, faculty and staff who anticipate needing resources from King Library should plan accordingly to request services and check out materials prior to the July 22 closure. Libraries staff members, who will be relocated to various campus locations during the closure, will be accessible via email. Services based out of King Library may be unavailable or offered at alternate locations.
- Collections materials housed within King Library will remain available for checkout on a limited basis. Requests can be made online or in-person at other Libraries locations. Patrons should expect longer than normal delays and are encouraged to request needed materials before the closure. As of early July, materials requested through OhioLINK will no longer be available for pickup at King Library but can be picked up at other Libraries locations.
- Digitization of videos for coursework/use on Canvas through the Instructional Materials Center will be unavailable during this time. If faculty need digitization services during this time, they are encouraged to make arrangements at least one week in advance of the closure.
- The Walter Havighurst Special Collections and archival collections will be closed, and materials will be unavailable.
- The Center for Information Management (CIM Lab) will be closed. Computers with specialty software and large-format scanning are available in B.E.S.T. Library’s Digital Den.
- The Center for Digital Scholarship will be closed and its in-house technology unavailable.
- The Howe Center for Writing Excellence will offer consultations in Wertz Art & Architecture Library (Alumni Hall) during the closure.
- The Office of Research for Undergraduates, located within King Library, will be closed.