In honor of Open Access Week 2013 (October 21-25), we will be profiling an influential figure in the scholarly communication landscape each day.
Friday, October 25
- M.Ed. in Social Studies Education, University of Florida, 2002
- Ph.D. in Information and Library Science, UNC-Chapel Hill (2009- )
- Co-founder, ImpactStory (2011- )
- Doctoral student in information science, UNC-Chapel Hill (2009- )
- Ubiquity Press Advisory Board member (2011- )
- Program committee, ScienceOnline 2012 conference (2011)
- Lead organizer, altmetrics 12 workshop at ACM Web Science Conference (2012)
- Peer reviewer for Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, PLoS ONE, and Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience.
- “Scientometrics 2.0: new metrics of scholarly impact on the social Web”. First Monday, 2010. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.5210%2Ffm.v15i7.2874.
- “Altmetrics in the wild: using social media to explore scholarly impact”. arXiv preprint, 2012. Available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.4745.
- “The power of altmetrics on a CV”. Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 2013. Available at http://mail.asis.org/Bulletin/Apr-13/AprMay13_Piwowar_Priem.pdf.
- Priem has worked as a middle school teacher, freelance web designer, and instructional designer for online courses.
- Priem is the co-founder of ImpactStory, a free, open-source web-based tool that allows researchers to aggregate alternative metrics for their scholarship.
- One of a group of scholars who coined the term “altmetrics”, short for alternative metrics, or measuring scholarly impact over the social web instead of through traditional citation.